Welcome to Canada's Favourite Questions and Answers Community, where you can ask practical questions and get sensible answers from people in your city and province. Do you know an answer? It's free to answer and help someone without the need to register or login.

In Ontario, Canada - For doing a G2 or G Driving test, can we borrow a car from relatives and do the test?

+14 votes

I found out that the Driver training school charges money for using their car to do the G2 or G driving test. Most of the driving school does not include this borrowing of the car for driving test fees. They usually charge money for in-class theory courses and 10 practical driving lessons only. Also I have realised that after the initial 10 practical lessons, the following practical lesson, each could get quite pricey between $35 to $50 per two hour lessons, each day. So I figured that if we can borrow a car from relatives and use it to do the G2 or G test in Ontario, Canada.

Drivetest Ontario

asked in Peterborough by Donald Silva (169 points)

Your answer

Your name to display (optional):
Privacy: Your email address will only be used for sending these notifications.
Anti-spam verification:
To avoid this verification in future, please log in or register.

1 Answer

0 votes
Yes. You are allowed to borrow a car from your relatives, provided that you also manage to get the "student driver' sign put up on top of your car while doing the test. If you don't have one for the top of the car, you can instead place one sign at the rear windshield. Your relatives also have to realise that if anything were to happen to that car, they are solely responsible for the accident because they are the owner of the car even though they are not driving the car. In case of any accident, their insurance premium will definitely increase.

It is a must to have someone who holds at least 4 years of driving experience sit in the front seat beside you while you get to the drive test exam centre. If you fail the drive test exam you will need to have someone with 4 years experience sit beside you in the front passenger seat, to allow you to drive the car back. You do not need a separate insurance for yourself to do the driving test. The insurance company won't give you one. The insurance will fall on the owner of the vehicle in which you are doing the drive test.
answered by Scott Smith (203 points)

Related questions

+7 votes
2 answers
+7 votes
1 answer