Welcome to Canada's Favourite Questions and Answers Community, where you can ask practical questions and get sensible answers for free, without the need to register or login.

What qualification do we need to have to teach english in other countries, outside of Canada?

+6 votes

Teaching had always been my dream passion and will always be so. Having been through some financial hardship in life, i have recently been in a much steady pace of life. Although i never had a chance to teach in schools or colleges, i still dream of doing so one fine day. i understand that having a qualification degree is necessary to be able to teach students, but i wasn't lucky enough to have the luxury of completing my education to obtain such qualification. In fact, it would be a wonderful idea to be able to teach simple english from beginnner level to advance level in other countries, where people want to learn english. In the past i used to see several advertisement which states that their company needed someone to teach outside of Canada, but i was too busy struggling to make ends meet, that i didn't put much interest in it at that time.

Teach English

asked in Thompson by Steve Martin (184 points)

Type your answer below

Upload image or document:

Your name to display (optional):
Privacy: Your email address will only be used for sending this above notification.
Anti-spam verification: (Check box below)
(No login or Registration required)

2 Answers

0 votes

A TEFL or CELTA or similar teaching certificate is one common requirement for employment. However, there are others that may apply, depending on the type of job you are pursuing. Some of these include:

  • University degree. Most potential employers will want you to have a completed university degree. The discipline generally is not important, that is, you don’t typically have to have a degree in English or Education.
  • Education degree/teacher certification. However, if you would like to teach in a primary or secondary school abroad, whether private or public, you will probably be required to have a degree in Education and to be a certified teacher in your home country. Exception: Some countries (such as France) have formal teacher’s assistant programs in the public schools; because you will not be the primary teacher, requirements are less stringent.
  • Advanced degree. There are job openings at universities abroad, teaching in English. For these, you’ll almost invariably need a Master’s degree or higher. Often you’ll be teaching classes in your discipline (for example, Business or Mathematics) in English. 
  • Age limits. Sometimes there are age limits for certain programs, such as France’s teacher’s assistant program. However, don’t be deterred if you are not right out of university. Many EFL teachers, myself included, began teaching EFL as a second career. Many students I find like having a teacher with business and life experience.
  • Host country language. For some governmental programs — again, France’s teacher’s assistance program is an example — you’ll need at least basic skills in the language of the host country. And regardless, you’ll find that having some of the local language will make your time in country easier and more enjoyable.
  • Home country. Schools in some countries require teachers to be from one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, the United Kingdom, or the United States. This requirement is particularly common in Asian countries. Furthermore, in some countries (many in Europe) a British accent may be preferred, while in others (Latin America) a North American accent is preferred.
  • Work experience. Some schools, particularly primary and secondary schools, may require you to have teaching experience; two years seems to be a common requirement. Also, if you have training or work experience in business, aviation, any of the medical professions, engineering, and some other fields, you’ll find yourself in higher demand.
  • Visas/work permits. Most countries have laws requiring foreigners to obtain a work visa or permit in order to work there legally. How strictly these laws are enforced depends on the country. Some may actually deport illegal teachers who are caught. Others turn a blind eye. As a generalization, you can expect countries of the European Union and in Asia to be more strict about having proper documentation. In Latin America, it is easier to work off the books.
answered by Feng Kang (209 points)
0 votes
Watch video on "How to start teaching English in other countries, outside of Canada":

answered by Teach English Abroad

Related questions

+3 votes
1 answer