Welcome to Canada's Favourite Questions and Answers Community, where you can ask practical questions and get sensible answers for free, without the need to register or login.

How do i legally change my First, Middle or Last name as an adult living in Ontario? What steps should i take to apply for a legal name change?

+11 votes
After living my entire life with the name given to me since born, given by my parents, i realized that i needed to change my name legally to something that i prefer much better. Not that there is anything wrong with my current name or not that i have a sinister reason for the change but i feel it all comes down to personal preferences and choices in life. Sure it will create a bit of a confusion for people who knew me already by my original name but i guess the people in my circle of life will surely understand me.

It wouldn't be an entire name change that i am looking for, rather it would be more of an addition of a middle name to my first and last name. I understand that it will be tough for people who knew me to pretend to call me by another new name, so i thought it is best that i only add a middle name to my name. This way, it would give people the chance to call me by either by original first name or by my new middle name. Isn't this a sort of good idea?
asked in Brockville by Rose Burns (183 points)

Type your answer below

Upload image or document:

Your name to display (optional):
Privacy: Your email address will only be used for sending this above notification.
Anti-spam verification: (Check box below)
(No login or Registration required)

2 Answers

0 votes

In order to change your name legally in Ontario, there are several conditions that needs to be fulfilled before you can apply:

1. You have to be 16 years of age or older.

2. However, if you are 16 years or 17 years of age, you will need consent from your parents, guardian or someone who has legal custody over you. (This means that you must also complete part 3 of this application)

3. If you are married or have a conjugal relationship with your partner, you must notify that partner or spouse to let them know you are changing your name. (You must also complete part 2 of this application)

4. You must have lived in Ontario for the past 12 months.

When you have fulfilled those conditions mentioned above, you can start downloading the Legal Name Change Application form.

The application form is pretty straightforward and easy to complete.

Once you are done filling the form, you can either mail out your completed form, payment details, and other required documents to:

Service Ontario

Office of the registrar General

P.O.Box 3000

189 Red River Road,

Thunder Bay, Ontario

P7B 5W0

If you want, you can also submit the completed forms, Required payment and required documents in person at the address closest to your location or city.

Cost is about $137

Once your name change is approved, you will receive a document called "Change of Name Certificate". This will show your previous name and your new name. Then you can use this document to change other documents such as drivers license, Ontario photo card, Health Card, Sin Card, Passport or Citizenship Certificate. If you were born in Ontario, you will also receive a new birth certificate with your new name on it.

answered by Steve Martin (184 points)
0 votes
Watch video on "How to change your name in Ontario" :

answered by Change Name Legally

Related questions

+10 votes
2 answers